Ideas for Celebrating the ADA
How will you celebrate the ADA? Below are some ideas and suggestions to celebrate throughout the year the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the ADA Anniversary - July 26 in your workplaces, schools and communities.
Accessibility & Program Acccess
- Appoint an ADA Coordinator.
- Re-evaluate and update existing transition plans.
- Survey websites for accessiblity and prioritize web pages to be updated based on use and content.
- Create focus groups/panels of people with disabilities to provide feedback on accessibility and program access issues.
- Assess pedestrian access and identify need areas.
- Commit to providing playgrounds that meet ADA compliance guidelines.
- Provide effective communication such as interpreters at all large events or public meetings.
- Send staff to ADA related workshops and conferences such as the National ADA Symposium.
- Utilize the ADA National Network for training and technical assistance. 1-800-949-4232
- Participate in on-line courses, audio-conferences, and podcasts.
- Conduct in-house training on ADA issues on a regular basis.
Disability Awareness Events
- Host a wheelchair game or races.
- Exhibit works by artists with disabilities.
- Sponsor a disability awareness poster contest.
- Demonstrate the use of assistive devices at a community event.
- Host an online or in-person discussion. Ask questions such as: What impact has the ADA had on your life? What would be different about your life if we did not have the ADA?
More Idea Resources
- Monthly ADA Themes
from ADA Anniversary Tool Kit
- A Yearlong Plan for Disability Inclusion
from Indianapolis Record
- ADA25 Celebration Archives and ADA Legacy Tour
from ADA Legacy Project (TALP)
- 25 Ideas for the 25th Anniversary of the ADA
from Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)
- Quick Ideas for Celebrating the 25th ADA Anniversary
from WI Libraries for Everyone
- ADA Pledge for Religious Communities and Resources for Seminaries
from Collaborative on Faith and Disability
- It's only January but Get Ready to Celebrate the 25th ADA Anniversary
from AFB CareerConnect Blog